Leon Levy Native Garden by Janelle Hope Robbins
Established on February 13, 1913 Bedford Audubon Society was integral in enacting early conservation laws in New York State to protect birds and habitat.
Bedford Audubon’s reputation for providing outstanding environmental education is rooted in history: some of the early notable visiting guest lecturers are conservation giants by today’s measure, including Dr. Arthur Allen, founder of the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology; Edward Howe Forbush, Massachusetts State Ornithologist; Allen D. Cruikshank, noted ornithologist and author; Louis Aggazis Fuertes, world-renowned wildlife artist and illustrator; and ornithology pioneer Roger Tory Peterson.
In 2001, the Parker Family generously donated Bylane Farm to Bedford Audubon. Built in the 1730s, Bylane Farm now serves as our center of operations—offices, meeting space, John Bull Library, and residences for our Naturalist, seasonal research staff and interns, and visiting scientists and speakers. Bylane Farm also hosts our Leon Levy Native Garden. We’re working on developing a comprehensive history of Bylane, as well as our sanctuary properties.
Today, Bedford Audubon continues to be a leader in local conservation and authority on birds in northeastern Westchester and eastern Putnam Counties.