Join our HawkWatch Team as the Interpreter & Spotter
CHESTNUT RIDGE HAWKWATCH INTERPRETER & SPOTTER (2021)
Bedford Audubon is pleased to announce the availability of an eight-week paid opportunity in field (raptor) biology and nature interpretation at our Chestnut Ridge HawkWatch in Bedford Corners, New York.
Required Skills & Qualities
The ideal candidate for the HawkWatch Interpreter & Spotter is:
- Enthusiastic with a passion for conservation, environmental education, and raptors.
- Comfortable with cheerfully communicating with the public at large, including seniors, students, and families.
- Self-motivated and able to work successfully independently and in a supportive team atmosphere outdoors, as well as in a casual yet professional office setting.
- Possess basic computer literacy, word processing, and spreadsheet literacy along with excellent written and verbal skills. Attention to detail is a must.
Essential functions of the position require hiking, standing outdoors for long periods at a time, and carrying 20 pounds of gear (optics, first aid kit, etc.). This is a long count, and not for the faint of heart!
The HawkWatch Interpreter & Spotter must provide their own binoculars. The HawkWatch Interpreter & Spotter should hold a valid driver’s license and have personal transportation. Mileage is not reimbursed.
The HawkWatch Interpreter & Spotter will take high-level direction from the Naturalist-in-Residence.
Education & Prior Work Experience
- Experience with nature interpretation and environmental education is required.
- A degree in Natural Resources, Environmental Science, Environmental Education, Wildlife Biology, Wildlife Management, or similar is preferred; or equivalent related experience.
- Previous raptor identification is not essential, but candidates should be motivated to learn.
- Serve as a primary nature interpreter to the visiting public and during public programs.
- Spot raptors and other birds, especially during peak migration, to support the HawkWatch Counter.
- Take photos and provide daily highlights for social media.
- Set up and breakdown for scheduled public programs and special events.
- Additional opportunities for research and activity (e.g., communications, workshops, etc.) are available, depending on the candidate’s experience and personal goals for this Opportunity.
- Assist in the smooth operation of Bedford Audubon.
HawkWatch Interpreter & Spotter Opportunity Summary
- September 8 – October 30, 2021, approximately 9am-5pm, 5 days/week including weekends, with some longer days during peak migration.
- Regular rate is $14/hour, overtime rate (more than 40 hours/week) is $21.00/hour.
- We are pleased to offer a voluntary housing credit that includes lodging and utilities at our historic Bylane Farm. The housing credit will be applied to your hourly rate. Please inquire for details.
- Email your cover letter describing your interest and personal goals for this position, résumé or curriculum vitae, and contact information for two references to Tait Johansson, Naturalist-in-Residence, at email@example.com by no later than July 28, 2021, but the position will remain open until filled.
- Please include “2021 HawkWatch Interpreter & Spotter Opportunity” as the email subject line.
- Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.